Nelson's Dockyard Heritage and Yachting Destination Turns 58!!!
On 14 November 1961, Nelson's Dockyard formally opened as a heritage and yachting destination. Starting in 1928, Governour Reginald St. Johnston made efforts to preserve the Dockyard as a tourism site. By 1951, the Society for the Friends of English Harbour was created to raise funds and start restoration of the buildings. Within a decade, the Society raised more than $300,000 EC, which they put into stabilizing the buildings and converting them for more modern uses. On 14 November 1961, it was finally time to formally open. Hundreds of persons streamed into the Dockyard, entertained by a formal opening ceremony, a parade and a military band. The people involved then could only dream of the success that the Dockyard would be, becoming a National Park, World Heritage Site, and Premiere Tourism Destination that it is today. 📸 @viewsofantigua
Happy 58th Birthday Nelson's Dockyard!!!
#NelsonsDockyard #NationalParksAntigua #AntiguaAndBarbuda